Chiropractic Care for the Pregnant Mum-to-Be
How can Chiropractic Help Pregnant Women?
If you are pregnant, one of the best things you can do for yourself and your baby is to see a chiropractor. We see many pregnant women at Well & Wise, and for good reason. Pregnant women are more prone to spinal misalignments causing nerve interference. This is because hormonal changes cause relaxation of the ligaments, which then in turn increases pelvis and spinal instability (all getting the mum-to-be ready for arrival of the new baby). These changes often result in pain, spinal imbalance, weakness, fatigue & sometimes also breech presentations. Chiropractic care provides so many benefits for a pregnant woman.
Furthermore, along with appropriate diet, exercise & avoiding drugs, alcohol & cigarettes, Chiropractic Care should be an essential part of every pregnancy!
During pregnancy, there are several physiological and hormonal changes that occur in preparation for creating the environment for the developing baby. The following changes could lead to a painful misaligned spine or pelvis:
- Forward weight distribution as the baby bump gets larger
- Increased back curvature in the lower back
- Pelvic changes and loosening of the joints
- Postural changes to accommodate the growing baby while sitting, standing sleeping
Changes to the Pregnant Woman:
- Release of the hormone relaxin causes muscle & ligament relaxation and more chance of spine and pelvis misalignments.
- Increased weight gain & change in weight distribution
- Increased weight, stress & fatigue on spinal and pelvic joints and muscle
A Chiropractor can help alleviate the uncomfortable symptoms arising from muscular, ligamentous and biomechanical stresses encountered during pregnancy. Some of the procedures used to achieve this:
The Chiropractic Approach during Pregnancy
- Gentle Spinal Adjustments using the Biomechanical Blocks, Activator and Pregnancy Pillow
– assist in maintaining a spine free from vertebral misalignments & fixations and ensuring an optimally functioning nervous system
– keep pelvis & spine in correct position/posture allowing for better birth outcomes
– assist in pain relief and reducing spinal / pelvic stresses which produce soft tissue pain
– keep ligament and soft tissues functioning optimally to minimize complications during birth
- EXERCISES AND STRETCHES that are safe during pregnancy
– keeps core and spinal musculature strong, balanced & pain free
– enable spinal muscles to maintain the spine & body in a correct neutral posture
– keep mum active & mobile throughout the pregnancy
- SOFT TISSUE RELEASE through massage, trigger point therapy, soft tissue mobilisation
We have a team of Remedial Massage therapists available at Well & Wise that are qualified to perform pregnancy massage (using the Pregnancy Pillow for your comfort) to help reinforce and support your adjustments.
– keep muscles relaxed & flexible
– reduces bouts of muscle aches & pains
– reduces muscle stress
- DIETARY AND NUTRITIONAL ADVICE unique to being pregnant is beneficial
Seeing a Nutritionist is a great way to ensure adequate nutrition during a time that your needs are different. Lauren Howe is a wonderful Naturopath and Nutritionist who can help make sure you are getting all the right amounts of nutrients for you and the developing baby. http://laurenhowenutrition.com. Through adequate nutrition and at times supplements,
– prevent neural tube & other birth defects
– increase the chances of a healthy baby
– assist the mother in maintaining optimal energy levels
– keep mother happy & healthy during stressful periods
Regardless of whether a baby is born naturally or through caesarian section, women who get adjusted regularly in the lead up to the delivery, generally recover more quickly from the birth process. And from those women who do deliver naturally, generally also have shorter delivery times.